Friday, February 20, 2009

Thursday, February 19th, Volcano and Salt Lake














Greetings!

The mountains so dominate the views around here that I had to take the morning on which we had no tours –and go get a picture of the volcano (Lascar, 5154 meters) which towers behind the town. I started with a photo from our room porch over the wall. When the telephone lines got in the picture, I decided to walk east through the town seeking a clearer picture with more mountain in it. An hour and a dozen photos later, I was on the outskirts of the town, and had found my way through many yards and neighborhoods where tourists rarely go. But the shots were better.

Our tour today took us to a failed agricultural experiment, an Andes river ravine where rhyolite is quarried to build local houses, and the Salt Lake to see flamingos. I’m a little tired, and going to let the photos tell the story. We’re getting up a 3:30am tomorrow to go to the geysers for our last tour.

To see the photos taken today, click on: Volcano and Salt Lake

No comments: